7 REASONS TO PLAN A FALL GETAWAY HERE
Just east of Toronto, this scenic part of the province offers endless outdoor activities, arts & heritage, and plenty of gastronomic delights. Plus, Kawarthas Northumberland is one of the best places to see fall foliage. Here are 7 reasons why you should plan your getaway here this fall:
- Cruise along fantastic fall drives — If you're a leaf lover, this is the place to be. Driving along the back roads, you'll be treated to brilliant orange, yellow and red colours rippling across farmlands, hilltops, and the Canadian Shield.
- Let loose at a fall fair — Every fall, the towns throughout Kawarthas Northumberland celebrate the autumn harvest with some of the best and longest-running fall fairs in Ontario.
- Discover an engineering marvel steeped in history — The Trent-Severn Waterway is a National Historic Site of Canada. Built mostly in the 1800s, the waterway offers trails, scenic roads, and boating access to a 386-kilometre route of picturesque rivers, lakes, towns and villages.
- Take The Butter Tart Tour — Did you know that Kawarthas Northumberland is home to the biggest culinary tour of its kind in Ontario? Award-winning butter tarts await you at over 50 destinations.
- Immerse yourself in art on a studio tour — Kawarthas Northumberland has some of Ontario's longest-running studio tours. Every September, the region's talented artists invite the public to explore their studios.
- Set off on your choice of bike trails and road routes — From picturesque country roads to forest and rail trails, Kawarthas Northumberland has a big backyard to explore on two wheels. Dedicated cycling groups have cultivated some of the most popular routes in the province.
- Paddle through quiet lakes and picturesque rivers — Dip your paddle into calm waters and stop in quaint villages and culturally rich towns scattered along the waterways. The best part? The beautiful Trent-Severn Waterway is quieter in the fall months, gifting you with absolute tranquility.
Looking for more ideas?
- Resorts and spas — Find romantic weekends for two or reconnect with the whole family.
- Fresh, local food — Forage your own edibles or sit back and sample a local brew. Take in fine dining or visit our local markets. The culinary scene is robust — famous for an abundance of fresh ingredients and intrepid chefs.
- Fishing — Whether you’re a pro looking for a new hot spot to check out or a novice wanting to pick up a rod for the first time, our lakes and guides are ready year-round.
- Theatres and galleries — Thanks to our vibrant community of musicians, actors and fine artists, our galleries, theatres and outdoor performance spaces are full of creativity.
SCROLL BELOW FOR MORE THINGS TO SEE AND DO